Struggles with hearing loss can make your life more difficult, but with recent advances in technology, it’s easier than ever to live your life normally, with little inconvenience or embarrassment.
Los Gatos Audiology with The Listen Up Café is proud to host an informal, fun session on ways to use audiology technology to improve your lifestyle.
Join us on Friday, April 22, 10-12pm in our office
Learn more about this exciting technology that can make your life easier. You’ll learn about five ways to improve your lifestyle – PLUS receive a FREE pack of batteries or a free hearing screening.
We’ll be serving coffee, tea and other special goodies as well!
5 Tips to Improve Your Lifestyle
- New technology is really worth the investment. Do you love your hearing devices but haven’t had an update in a few years? You’ll be amazed at the new technology available to you today! Hearing aids can cancel background noise more than ever, making it so much easier to converse in restaurants, ball games and with TV noise in the background. Make conversing in a crowd easier and more natural than ever.
- Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs). There are many accessories available that will help individuals with or without hearing aids. The most common products range from alarm clocks, doorbells, and baby monitors to TV amplifiers, and new concepts like neckloops using T-coils.
And for higher tech telephones, CaptionCall is a revolutionary phone that uses voice-recognition to display captions of what callers say on an easy-to-read screen. You can discover more at captioncall.com or call our office.
- There is new research into improved communication strategies. Speaking of smart phones, did you know there are apps and games you can download onto your smart phone that can help you to exercise and improve your hearing and listening skills? Check out this article to learn more and to find some games to download to your mobile device and improve your hearing while you’re standing in line, waiting for a friend, or just have a bit of free time! There are also training programs available online that are more interactive computer-based programs that train in adaptive auditory skills.
- Take some pro-active steps to improve everyday communication in social settings.
A few tips for making communication smoother and social interactions more natural are:
- Face the one you are speaking with. When you are looking directly at a person as they speak, you’ll get other clues that will help with comprehension, such as body language, facial expressions, as well as seeing their lips move.
- Cancel the background noise. If it’s possible, turn off distracting background noises like music and television.
- Ask for a little help. When loved ones are speaking with you, see if you can get them into the habit of calling your name before directing a question or comment your way. An example is, “Mom, do you know where the remote is?”
- Repeat back important details. When getting an address or phone number, repeat the information back to confirm you heard correctly and head off any confusion. Repeating what you think you heard can also be less frustrating to you and the other person than if you say, “What?” every time you don’t quite understand something.
- Don’t be hard on yourself. If you’re tired or not feeling well, your hearing may be worse than usual, so give yourself a break.
- Local support groups are available to help.
Ask your audiologist or physician about local support groups that can help you learn how to live with hearing struggles. You can also search for a local support chapter here. You’re not alone, and the struggle is real, so don’t try to do everything yourself. Others are there to support and encourage you.
Ready to Take the Next Step? We Can Help!
If you are tired of the struggle to hear others in social settings and would like to learn more about how the newest audiological technology can help, call us today or set up an appointment online. We would love to give you a FREE hearing screening and discuss if one of our newest hearing aids is right for you.
We’ve served San Jose and the Bay Area for over 40 years, providing the right solution for Your Life. Your Style.
Los Gatos Audiology 15899 Los Gatos-Almaden Rd., Suite 8 Los Gatos, CA 95032
For an appointment please call (408) 354-1312 or visit www.losgatosaudiology.com.